Hello, guys. What I wanted to do for the community today is to give you a realistic view of chasing a legendary. This is the view from a person actually chasing it himself. As usual, I’ll get to the point and give you the facts. This is the fastest way to achieve your goals. Let’s go right into it. Feel free to discuss everything listed, and add suggestions if you happen to have any.
- 200 Skill Points
- 500 Dungeon Tokens
- Precursor weapon
- 525,000 karma for Obsidian Shards
- 120 Gold Coins
- 1 Gift of Exploration
- 100% Map Completion
- 77 Mystic Clovers
- 500 Badges of Honor
- 250 Globs of Ectoplasm
- 250 Vicious Fangs
- 250 Vicious Claws
- 250 Vials of Powerful Blood
- 250 Elaborate Totems
- 250 Armored Scales
- 250 Ancient Bones
- 250 Piles of Crystalline Dust
- 250 Powerful Venom Sacs
This all leads up to the four parts you need to assemble.
Part 1: Exotic Precursor Weapon of Choice
A precursor weapon can be obtained in a couple of ways. You can buy it, which will usually cost 200-300g on the trade market. You can also make it in the mystic forge by combining four exotic weapons that are within the same weapon class as the precursor you need. A third option, which is also luck heavy, is relying on random drops from high level events. The Claw of Jormag chest has a chance to drop a precursor. Also, the temples in Orr have events which grant players a slight chance to grab a precursor.
Part 2: Gift of Fortune
- 250 Glob of Ectoplasm: You can get these from salvaging items of level 68 or higher. You can purchase them if the price is reasonable as well.
- Gift of Might – 250 Vicious Fang, 250 Armored Scale, 250 Vicious Claw, 250 Ancient Bone: High level areas drop these, or you can buy them.
- Gift of Magic – 250 Vial of Powerful Blood, 250 Powerful Venom Sac, 250 Elaborate Totem, 250 Pile of Crystalline Dust: High level areas drop these, or you can buy them.
- 77 Mystic Clover: Clovers work a little differently. You have a chance to get one from the materials listed below. It’s been rumored that it’s better to try and do 10 at a time in the mystic forge for better results.
Materials: 1 Obsidian Shard, 1 Mystic Coin, 1 Glob of Ectoplasm, 6 Philosopher’s Stone
Average cost for all of this is 160g.
Part 3: Gift of Mastery
- 200 Skill Points: Just save up on your skill points after level 80. Remember you keep leveling each time you get a skill point.
- 250 Obsidian Shards: Tactician Deathstrider sells these at the Temple of Balthazar in the Straits of Devastation. The shards themselves cost 2100 karma apiece. So you need a grand total of 525,000 Karma to get them all.
- Gift of Exploration (100% World Completion): Time consuming– not hard.
- Gift of Battle: 500 Badges of Honor needed, so get out there and PvP.
Part 4: Gift of Precursor’s Weapon
Each precursor weapon needs a certain gift. You can buy these recipes from Mayani in Lion’s Arch. The materials needed for each gift are different but the average cost of each is around 285g. This, of course, will depend on the market and types of items. You also need level 400 trade skills for the precursor.
Is it worth it? Well, that depends on the person you ask. Personally, I’d say no even though I’m climbing towards a legendary myself. The time you expend just for a unique skin is not worth it. There are, however, several ways to cut down the time needed for this. You could buy outright all the parts that are not obtainable by achievements or merit. That will cost a super amount of gold, approximately 500-550g. However, you’d save a lot of time.
Is it possible to get a legendary in just a few weeks? Yes, if luck is on your side. You also need to complete the map, run necessary dungeons, farm a little, and PvP a little. It can be done rather quickly, but at great cost. Another way to go about building a legendary is to get some help from friends. You all could farm together and help each other towards the goal. This, of course, may take longer, but it will probably be easier in the long run.
In most cases you will go with choice B and farm it with friends. The third choice is to do it all alone. It’s possible, but it will take a great deal of work and time. At the pace I’m going at, it will more than likely take me three months to reach my goal. I’m in no hurry, so I’ll get there. This guide is meant to clear up all the info and give you a clear, realistic goal to shoot for.
If you are going to go with choice B/C, I can help you with that. You can check out a sister video I just put out with this one. It shows a diamond event area. You can run that constantly and literally farm most of the mats you need. As an added bonus, you will get a lot of karma and gold. It’s probably the best area for you to do so. Also, don’t be afraid to try and do temple events in Orr. It’s rumored they drop precursors. That’s a pretty big step erased if you get one off them.
Well, that’s about it. I hope you all have learned something useful. I hope to see you guys sending me vids of your legendaries. I’ll make a video in appreciation of your accomplishments. Have fun out there. Maybe you’ll see my purple guardian whiz by. As always, my saying has been, “If you’re going to be a gamer, be legendary.”