Kervik is back in business on the official Mage forums with a new post detailing some future changes for Mages the team is currently working on. Since most of these changes may potentially affect the overall balance of multiple specs, Kervik is currently planning on releasing them on the PTS at some point around the time 2.3 goes live and allowing players to thoroughly test them before pushing the changes out during a hotfix.
Keep reading to take a look at his welcome back note along with the fairly extensive list of proposed changes:
Originally posted by Kervik (Source)
Sorry for the lack of communication lately. As has been mentioned things have been busy and a bit all over the place. However, I come with news on some changes in the works. I’ve been spending some time looking over suggestions and seeing what can be done to help improve synergy between the souls. There are some preliminary changes in already and more to be tested and worked on as time permits.
The bad news is I don’t plan to have these changes be part of 2.3. Some of these may open up some overpowered builds and I’d like to give them a longer stretch on PTS than they would have if they went with 2.3. Because of that they won’t show up on PTS until about the time 2.3 goes out to Live servers. My goal is that you won’t have to wait for 2.4 for the changes though. Once they’re ready for Live we’ll get them pushed out with one of the weekly hotfixes.
On the upside, here’s a small list of some of the changes that are either in or under consideration. Not all of these are aimed at improving synergy, some are just a continuation of general ability improvements. (standard caveats apply that none of this is set in stone and can completely change before hitting Live)
- Archon – Rising Vengeance now also increases all non-Archon damage by 2/4/6/8/10%.
- Elementalist – Elemental Link now increases the Mage’s damage by 1/2/3/4/5% instead of reducing the damage they take. The rest of the talent is unchanged.
- Elementalist – Cycle of Earth, Cycle of Fire, Cycle of Air, and Cycle of Water now provide a 7/15% increase to their appropriate damage types.
- Harbinger – Luminous Weapon now causes melee attacks to deal additional Life damage to up to 5 enemies. Lasts 1h.
- Harbinger – Blademark now reduces the Mage’s damage by 10%. Down from 30%.
- Harbinger – Abilities granted by Empyrean Ascension now count as Slashing attacks.
- Pyromancer – Ignition now also increases the range of non-melee damaging abilities by 1/2/3/4/5 meters. Increased range does not stack with the range increase from the Dominator’s Mental Fortitude.
- Stormcaller – Cold Weather Training now also reduces the cast time of non-Water abilities by 1/2/3/4/5%, and reduces the mana cost of non-instant Water abilities by 4/8/12/16/20%.
- Stormcaller – Static Flux now increases all damage. Previously only increased Air and Water damage.
- Warlock – Neddra’s Torture now has an 8 second duration and cooldown.
- Warlock – Expanded Contagion also allows Radiate Death to spread Electrified, Deathly Calling and Combust stacks.
- Necromancer – Symbiote now also causes Essence Link to increase the damage taken by the affected enemy, from you and your pet, by 2/4%.
- Necromancer – Corpse Explosion can now stack up to 3 times.
- Necromancer – Deathly Collusion now causes stacks of Deathly Calling to increase all of your damage on the affected enemy instead of only Death damage.
- Necromancer – The Shadow Revenant’s Scourge Bolt will apply a stack of Deathly Calling every 2nd cast.